Sunday, January 16, 2011

Learning from the best...

I'm not sure what is exactly appropriate for me to reveal, so forgive me if I'm a little vague.  But this blog is devoted to my writing experience.  I think it's only fair I speak a little about what I'm going through.

A few months ago, I submitted my novel to a new, small publishing house.

I waited for a response.  I tried to be patient and optimistic.  It paid off.

Shortly after the first of the year, I inquired about the status.  I was shocked speechless to receive the most amazing email.  It started with great praise, continued with suggestions and ended with inspiration.

WHO GETS THAT???

From what I've heard about the writing/publishing industry, not too many people.  So, I'd be stupid NOT to listen to words of advice given.  I immediately ordered Donald Maass's Book Writing the Breakout Novel.

Every paragraph resonates through me.  Every question he asks rocks my world.  AND I am going to his seminar in March-SWEET!!

I am truly happy I bought this book long before his seminar.  Let me tell you-it's forcing me to dig deeper into myself than ever before.  And, well...it kind of hurts...A LOT.  But according to Mr. Maass that's the stuff breakout novels are made of.

This is why I started writing anyway...to learn about myself, to deal, to FEEL.  I just didn't expect "it" to actually happen, I guess.

What's "it"?  I don't know?  Success?  Publication?  Both?

I started with the intention that no one was actually going to read my words.  But that's changed.  So, I guess I have to as well.

Here goes, I guess....It's back to revising and reaching deeper into myself than I ever thought possible.  And I want to THANK those who are helping me-you know who you are! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You did it again to me! At least I am at home and not on the beach! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have total faith in you! Being one of the lucky ones to get a sneak peak (and waiting for more!) I know it will happen. Just have patience and it will pay off in the end. I loved what I read the first time, after all your tweaks...your book will be a best seller on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Loretta. You will get where you need to be.... remember it's the journey that makes it all worth while :)

    ReplyDelete