Monday, May 16, 2011

Missions Accomplished at NESCBWI Regional Conference

From left to right: Sera, Me, Cybele, Patty & Penny
This weekend I attended New England's Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Regional Conference (NESCBWI) with a group of writers from my area.

I had two goals:

1) Participate

2) Find resource for starting my own critique group



And once there, I created a third

         3) Find way to be more active in my region.

MISSIONS ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!

Happily, I facilitated two Special Interest Groups with NO CLUE of how what it entailed.  I had planned to have a chat with one of the chair's directors prior to the conference, but it didn't happen.  So, I went into the situation winging it.  And it was AWESOME!!  I met some really great people with the same interests I have. The two topics discussed were social media and realistic YA fiction. And man, did we talk!  So, in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't have any expectations because then I avoided restrictions as well.

As for starting my own critique group?  Yeah, I've been procrastinating-making a thousand excuses as to why or how I wasn't ready.  Well, it just so happened, Sera and I sat next to the Regional Director of Critique Groups Saturday evening.  There goes ALL my excuses out the window!  So though it feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest, I'm gonna push it off and DO IT.  I'm scared, beyond belief, but I need to push through it.

And finally, I asked the Co-Chair of the conference how to get more involved in NESCBWI.  She said, "Well, next year's conference will be in Springfield.  Where do you live?"  HOW CAN I NOT JUMP AT THIS CHANCE??  So, I gave her my direct contact information and told her I'd be honored to help out in any way possible.

And now, on my first day back to my "real world", I think about all I accomplished.  Really, it's nothing compared to what I learned.  So much creative energy in one building, it's hard to not to feel a tad smarter.  So, as I embark on the next level, I do so with great pride.  SCBWI is a great organization for all children's writer's and illustrators and I GET TO BE A PART OF IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment