Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Writing Research

I've reached that revision point in my novel where I really need to make it WOW.  The characters are set up.  The story is there.  And I understand the plot.

I've gone from 80k to 60k and now down to 42k words.

I was nervous, until I realized, (thanks to workshops, conferences and critiques), how important Psychology is to writing.

So, I've been doing my research-reading non-fiction books on the human condition.

As I create, my characters act in a certain way, therefore the story moves forward and a plot unfolds.

But as I look outside my fiction and into my real life, I see it's not all that different.  And I can apply my research to all my interactions.

Oh, if only I could write my own life the way I do for my characters.  But it's not that easy.  I can't control others.  I don't even think I want to (well......).  So, as I navigate this crazy world, I guess I'll enjoy my superb cast without trying to force the plot.

HEY REBECCA ROSE- does that make me a real life panster???

3 comments:

  1. lol Loretta you and I have been writing our lives together over the years. Think of all the convos we have about how to deal with certain situations and how we behave. If that's not writing our lives, well, it's definitely plotting and brainstorming it....

    and fodder for our writing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I do wish that I could just write my real life as a novel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you could Elana. And I bet a you already do. :)

    ReplyDelete