Monday, October 3, 2011

Overcoming the Fantasy

White Horse Beach Plymouth MA
It's October 2011.

That means next month is November, also known in my world as NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

I won't be participating, though, as I have a very exciting non-fiction project due December 1st AND I'll be spending 9 glorious days in Disney World (my heaven).


But that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about fiction.  Actually, I am.  A LOT.  Because last year, I started a project titled "White Horse Beach" and I need to finish it.

 One problem though:  I absolutely HATE it!

Okay, I don't hate it.  Actually, I haven't even looked at it since last year.  But I've been thinking about what it's missing.  And three things have inspired me to give up my fantasy of keeping the main characters friends.

1)  I DON'T WRITE FANTASY and let's face it, a teen girl and teen boy staying friends during the summer at a beach town is pure fantasy, in my world anyway.

2) While reading The Hunger Games (I'm on book two of the triology, Catching Fire) I came to realize that a romantic relationship at White Horse Beach isn't necessarily a bad thing.

3)Finally, I heard Lady Antebellum's Just a Kiss and KNEW, right away...that's the story I NEED to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment