Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Keeping it Going

That winter I wrote diligently. Every night, or close to it, I clacked away on my computer and allowed my characters to sweep me away. My page count (at the time, I didn't know much about word count!) went up and up and up. I shared my chapters with fellow writing group members and began to fall in love with the process.

And then, success of all things, interrupted me! In writing class, my instructor (and great friend Sera) assigned a project. We, the students, were to submit a piece of our work for publication. In class, we have many projects and she wanted us to put one of them to good use. We learned about query letters, perfected our pieces and submitted.

At this point, I must admit that I am one of those people who don't know it can't be done. See, I loved this one nursing journal and my favorite columnist had retired. I thought I'd offer to take her place. I mean, why not? What would it hurt to ask, right?

Sera thought I was crazy. She didn't say so at the time, but even if she had, I would've ignored her. It's just in my nature to go for it.

I sent the query and sample on a Wednesday, I think. On Friday, the editor of the said publication responded. She loved the story and though they weren't looking for a columnist, they did need a blogger for their website.

I had no idea at the time what a blog was, so I began some intense research. In no time, I accepted and began posting. Better yet, I started getting paid!

So, for six months, I stressed myself out perfecting my blog. I left my novel behind.

It took nearly a year for me to revisit and complete it. But I did, in September of 2008. It took two years, but it was worth it. I had set a goal and accomplished it. Along the way, I learned a lot. I am still learning.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment