Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rekindling the flame

I look back now and realize that I was scared to finish my first novel. I knew it at the time, but could not face it. It was intimidating to reach a goal I had set for myself, because what would be left for me to do? Well, let me tell you I found it!

In November of 2009, I succumbed to my dear friend Sera's perseverance and joined NaNoWriMo. I attempted to write a novel in a month. It was a new and different personal challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Plus, it took me away from my first novel and gave me the break I needed.

In December, I took a creative break. November zapped me mentally and Christmas presents needed to be purchased. I figured I had overflexed my creative muscles. I gave myself a well deserved break.

And then, I became hooked on Facebook. It's all good, though, because I made a connection that will prove to be worth my while. I met a Young Adult Novelist who was going to hold an on-line class. I was pumped!

I sent in my application and waited. Right around Christmas, she asked me if she could critique my novel instead. THAT was a present I hadn't expected!!! I jumped at the chance, made a few quick revisions and mailed it. In the mean time, I also decided to attend the 2009 SCBWI (Society of Children's BookWriters and Illustrators) Conference in NYC.

Things are happening, that's easy to see. I just wonder if my mind can keep up with all of this.....

No comments:

Post a Comment