Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kindle Krazy

My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday. It's an extravagant gift that he knew I would never buy for myself. I have been trying to learn how to make the best use of it for the past month. I think it finally makes sense.

Buying books is dangerously easy. With the click of a button, the book appears. This is scary for someone like me who devours books like crazy. BUT, it's useful tool. I can highlight certain passages that I want to remember. Research for writing has taken on a whole new meaning.

The Kindle has a few drawbacks, though. For one, I can't search the web easily. I have to manually enter all URLs of blogs or sites I want to read and sometimes have trouble navigating them. But once, I've opened them, I can read them anywhere. I have not found a way to leave comments, though. AND...worst of all, I can't access Facebook. (Being an FB junkie, I'm a little disappointed, but I'm thinking Twitter might make up for that. I'll give it a whirl when I have my new cell phone.) Also, no matter the convience, it's STILL not a book. I miss the feel and smell of new pages. My senses are not fully engaged.

Overall, I'm not sure the Kindle is worth the cost, yet. Like most new gadgets, I'd expect rapid improvements with the price dropping soon. The ideal tool would be very similar to an iTouch but more affordable. If you were to ask me, I'd say to wait a little bit, unless you have extra cash to spend. I'm very happy to have my Kindle, but still feel terribly guilty about the cost. Maybe time will help me to see the true value in the expense.
Give it time, though, and I'm sure it will catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment